Sunday, March 21, 2010

Book of First Entry

From the moment we are born into this world we impact it with our presence wherever we go. Conversely the place of our birth is forever indelibly imprinted on us and our birthplace affects us everywhere.

Here in Africa our birthplace is regarded as sacred. Malidoma Patrice Some in, The Healing Wisdom of Africa,  writes (p.40)...

...some people believe that we choose not only our parents but also our place of birth. This is simply another way of emphasizing the importance of nature, for geography and nature are not really dissimilar. Being born into this world in a particular place is like having the signature of that place stamped upon you. The essence of our place of birth cloaks and protects your walk through this life, and whatever you do becomes registered in the ledger of that geography.... Your footprints still lead back to the place where you began. Any time there is a thought or memory of the origin, or an illusion to the origin, or more specifically a prayer that addresses your roots and the nature of your origin, then vast forces in the universe are unleashed.

That is powerful! It is as if one is sealed with the mark and character of one's birthplace.

I was born in Ladysmith the 15th June 1946. Winston Churchill wrote that Ladysmith was "famous to the uttermost ends of the earth: centre of the world's attention, the scene of famous deeds, the cause of mighty efforts." I think so too but for different reasons! Churchill was writing about the Siege of Ladysmith by the Boers 1899-1900.  On the other hand, I was thinking of my place of birth. Ladysmith was named after Juana Maria de Los Delores de Leon Smith, the beautiful young child-bride of Sir Harry Smith.  The story is told by Georgette Heyer in The Spanish Bride.

In the Ladysmith Library is a rather remarkable register of another very remarkable woman, perhaps the most remarkable woman in my life after my mother. It is the "Register of Midwifery" of Sister Lillie Sandalls (Public Library, Ladysmith). There is an entry...no. 520, of an infant boy, 8 1/2 lbs born alive, it says, on the 15.6.46 LOA, normal delivery. Unfortunately no time is given.

It's my "Book of First Entry"! How delighted I was to discover not only the register but especially that I was born "alive". Since then, my name has found its way into many more registers of both good and ill repute. Ultimately it is also written down in the Lamb's Book of Life. But to imagine that every time I think of, or pray for Ladysmith "vast forces in the universe are unleashed" is simply amazing. That just boggles my imagination. How is that for cybernetic interaction! How primal could that be? But that is how we think and believe here in Africa!

LOA? "Laughing Out Aloud"? No, that's just how I presented myself, "Left Occiput Anterior". Naturally, of course!

"When thou didst call me from nothing into life, thou didst will my happiness; when thou callest me away from life, will my happiness be less thy care? No. no, thou art Love, and whosoever dwells in love, dwells in thee, O Lord, and thou in him. AMEN." (Liturgy of St Mark.)















©Colin G Garvie
HomePage: http://www.garvies.co.za

No comments:

Post a Comment